28 March, 2007

Eragon [rant]

Okay, I won't go into detail... partly for the sake of spoilers, and partly for the sake of my fingers falling off from typing about all the things they totally fucked up. Suffice it to say, I could probably count on one hand the number of things they got right - including the title. Jim (my not-so-little brother) & I sat down to watch it, partly expecting some discrepencies. Neither of us expected the complete pile of rubbish that spewed from the DVD player. (Jim said, after we watched the whole blessed steaming pile o' crap, that he needs to sanitize his DVD player now.) I don't think there was a single scene we could actually enjoy. EVERYTHING was wrong, including, but not limited to: there was no romance between Eragon & Aria, Brom should've been older (think Gandalf-esque), where was the pivotal werecat from the apothecary, the fight with the shade was all wrong, they left out huge & rather important segments with training & testing, Brom was not nearly so forthcoming with info (Eragorn practically had to pull teeth or trick him to get answers). And that's just the beginning. If you have read the books, do not, I repeat DO NOT see this movie, unless you go into it with the expectation of anger & major irritation for 2 hours. If you've seen the movie, know that the books are so much better than the transparent, cheap & predictable version on film. The books are wonder-full & well worth the read. When the turkey-fest finally concluded, I felt the need to thoroughly tenderize my brother's pillows while he flailed around in his chair muttering under his breath.

Did I mention I was rather disappointed?

No comments: