05 June, 2004

Review of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban:

Got to go see the movie last night- opening night Yeah me!
I was not a little apprehensive about Gary Oldman playing Sirius Black because I didn't know if he could play the battered but loving godfather as well as the psycho escapee murderer, but he proved me wrong. He actually did very well and I think he suited the role nicely. I also wasn't looking forward to the upright Emma Thompson as Prof. Trelawney, but it wasn't as wretched as I'd feared. She played the role highly steriotypically of the baked-out, zoned-out, too-much-patchouli hippie circus fortune teller and that's not how I'd pictured Trelawney, but the performance didn't leave me throwing popcorn at the screen... so bygones.

Over all I loved it. I thought it was absolutely fantastic!! Alfonso Cuaron, as the new director, brought a realism and less movie-ishness to it than the 1st two had. They were wonderfull, no question, but were a bit more rigid I guess is my word... everyone seemed much more comfortable and much more their characters than actors in this movie, especially all the kids. (Altho I must be totally honest that I can hardly call them kids... I know they're all like 14 but I spent mosta the flick adoring the Hogwart's Hotties! Could the Weasley twins be any more adorable with those sexy shag haircuts!) Really tho it was great! I was blown away and can't wait to see it again!

No comments: